Uncovering the cause of the drainage problem and the best solution often requires some "exploratory surgery"...also known as digging. We decided to tackle one of the worst areas this week, and dove right in on #9 green. After removing several tons of material, we found that the green's internal drainage appeared to be fine, and it was the exit point that had become compromised. That is, water was draining through the green's mix to the gravel layer below, but the water was unable to leave the green.
|Creating a new "smile" drain at the bottom of #9 green.|
|Water comes streaming out from beneath the green.|
|Good to see no standing water on the green after rain on Tuesday and Wednesday.|